» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
100%
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Top posters
Streex (4373)

ZeldAnTales (2909)

Antilles (1555)

Nintendo Furniture (1087)

Triz (1086)

Matthew999 (341)

Lier X Agerate (129)

WildCard (115)

ShagTheTruth (114)

Incognito (71)

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Share | 

Punch-Out!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit

Number of posts : 129
Location : Zombies and ghosts are on the loose here. Welcome to Threed.
Coins : 194

PostSubject: Punch-Out!!   Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 am

The more I see of this game, the more I am impressed with this title. I have been playing the original NES Punch-out!! since I was four and I also owned Super Punch-Out!!, so I don't need to tell you I'm excited for this title to arrive. The classic gameplay and jaw droppingly fluid animations practically make me foam from the mouth with anticipation.

Now there have been people who are afraid that this game will just be a remake of the original, but I really can't see Nintendo doing something like that with such a treasured franchise. Plus, gameplay videos have shown that while many characters have some of their old moves back; they also have new moves in their repertoire. This and the fact that the characters shown so far in the demos are probably from the first circuit (the easy circuit) make me think this fear of a remake is unnecessary.

So far Glass Joe, Von Kaiser, Disco Kid, King Hippo, Don Flamenco, and Bear Hugger have been confirmed as opponents with all of them receiving an update (most notably Don Flamenco). A two player mode has been announced as well as several other modes. This game was made as a homage to all those who love the Punch-out!! series and I for one thank them greatly. Let's just hope that they keep the classic difficulty that the series is known for once it is released.

So is anyone afraid that the game might just be a rehash of the NES version? What control method do you think you'll use to control Little Mac? (motion or sideways wiimote) I for one am going to try motion control but will probably revert back to the wiimote when the fights get serious.

Here is a scan from a magazine showing the updated (From left to right) Bear Hugger, Disco Kid, Glass Joe, and Don Flamenco. Enjoy! Very Happy
http://www.wiinintendo.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/punchoutwiicast.jpg
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Fri May 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Wow, been a while since I've posted (that's what happens when you go home for the summer and only have dial up at home Razz ). Well, I'll try and be a little bit more active the rest of the summer. Anyways, I just got Punch-Out!! for the Wii and I am very pleased with my purchase.

First, let me say that the game is drop dead gorgeous and full of nostalgia. The animations are incredibly fluid and each fighter has his own personality which shines throughout the match. The sound effects utilized are very appropriate and the music is primarily remakes of previous songs from the series which I wouldn't change in the least (they are some amazing remakes). As far as controls go, you can use the wiimote and nunchuck or vouch for the classic NES style of the wiimote on its side. I personally prefer the classic style; although, that's not to say the other control style doesn't work. It actually works pretty well, I just couldn't imagine taking on the last few fighters with the motion controls due to the demand for speed and percision. There is also an option to use the balance board, but I haven't tried this yet.

The other main concern is that there is only one new character (Disco Kid), but after playing it, I don't really see the concern. While many of the characters are similar to their NES and SNES renditions, I still found myself more than challenged after the first circuit (had to memorize all the new cues and the new moves as well). It just feels very different than the NES version and yet so familiar. The star punch system is like the NES system, except if you have two or three star punches built up it only tranlates to one star punch, just a stronger one. It the duck from the SNES version is added to the NES repertoire

as well as the ability to recover health while your opponent is on the ground. Classic gamers will also be glad to see the return of the between round healing return via the minus button (ala Punch-Out!! on the NES).

Those wondering if its worth the purchase will also be glad to hear after you finish contender mode, you unlock defender mode where the fighters all have different patterns than the previous fights (haven't got to try this out yet, so I'll update more on that) and there's even another mode after that where you only have 3 continues similar to the NES game.

Other options than the main gameplay mode include exhibition mode, vs mode, and a gallery where you can check out the cutscenes and songs again. Exhibition allows you to rematch any opponent you have faced and even gives you challenges, some of which are very intimidating (defeating Von Kaiser in only 5 punches?!? Shocked ) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try vs mode, but from what I hear its a little dissapointing when compared to the rest of the package.

Overall, it has been a great experience and a very rewarding one. I might be a little biased due to my love of the series but I think this game is just too much fun to pass up in my own opinion. The humor is there and my only real gripe is that I wish they would have put subtitles in for the foreign speaking fighters (and there are a prettly large number of those) as I often have no idea what they're saying Razz . Punch-Out is highly recommended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Streex
Admin

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:25 pm

I definitely have to get this game soon. I want to get the one bundled with a nunchuk, I still have 3 Wiimotes matched with 2 Nunchuks. That's great that you can still heal between rounds. I recently picked up the boxing gloves for this game, not those big green ones, but the Everlast brand red ones. Have you fought Donkey Kong yet and what is he like?

Games Currently Playing:
Trine 2: Director's Cut :: Wii U
Madden NFL 13 :: Wii U
Wheel of Fortune :: Wii U
Mario Party e :: e-Reader
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ninfest.com
Triz
Moogle
Moogle

Number of posts : 1086
Coins : 3650

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:37 pm

Time for the Triz Review.

Rented this last night and popped it in when i got home. Hey look, all the characters from the original punchout this is cool. lets press "A" and start the game. Goes into the circuit and look its the same order of characters from past games. lets start the fight. hey look its the same exact fighting patterns as past games. Flawless victory against glass joe. rinse repeat.

Nostalgia only goes so far.

This shouldnt be a $50 game. It should retail for no more than $20 because the ONLY new thing it brings to the table is updated graphics and of course waggle controls. Yet another game Nintendo has manged to ruin for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Streex
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:42 am

You truly are a tough man to please Triz. You're making it harder for me to pick this game up! bounce

Games Currently Playing:
Back to top Go down
Triz
Moogle
Moogle

Number of posts : 1086
Coins : 3650

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:06 am

Streex wrote:
You truly are a tough man to please Triz. You're making it harder for me to pick this game up! bounce

Im just saying there is a difference between a sequel and a remake. This is definitely a remake. Not worht the premium they are charging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Streex
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:19 am

I agree. I haven't played it yet though so I still have that itch to try it. But it should have at least carried a $50 price tag with the Nunchuk and $35 without. Mad

Games Currently Playing:
Back to top Go down
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 pm

I must ask Triz, did you play past challenger mode? Defender feels like a completely different game to me than challenger as each fighter has a considerably different pattern. Plus, until you get into the world circuit I didn't even get KO'd, so I would suggest giving it a little more time before putting it down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nintendo Furniture
Moogle
Moogle

Number of posts : 1087
Coins : 270

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:47 pm

I have this game before! It was so awesome that I wish they made more Punch-Out games more often. A ton of hard missions to be finished but fun to play and cool new guests like Donkey Kong for instance. I wish I would win more often.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:56 am

Though I really wanna argue, Triz is right. The game just can't justify $50. That being said it uses the balance board, for that I was greatful.

And please contain your waggle rage. Punch Out most definitely worked very well and rose above being waggle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Streex
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:23 am

Oh how pathetic this game was. Nintendo can drop some duds sometimes. I agree that the fighters all seem the same the first time through, I also agree that they are different and much more difficult the second time through (Glass Joe showed me the floor), but the fact still stands that it's a cycle through a small amount of fighters, with only 1 new character I believe. Too short of a fighter. Hardly any content here. I think this should have been a $15 WiiWare title.

Games Currently Playing:
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:10 am

I agree, it was not a $50 game. Luckily, I knew this would happen so I never bought this game. Don't plan on it unless its like $10 in a bin. Like you said, some of the patterns were even straight from the NES version!!! Talk about rehash!!!

It looked great, I thought the motion controls worked well (the balance board was TERRIBLE), the pad controls worked exactly like the NES version...

All in all just not enough progress to warrant this game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Punch-Out!!   

Back to top Go down

Punch-Out!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninfest Nation :: Games :: Retro Nintendo Games :: Wii-
Jump to: