Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
Little King Story [Wii] Vote_lcap2100%Little King Story [Wii] Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
Little King Story [Wii] Vote_lcap20%Little King Story [Wii] Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
Little King Story [Wii] Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
Little King Story [Wii] Vote_lcap2Little King Story [Wii] I_voting_barLittle King Story [Wii] Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
Little King Story [Wii] Vote_lcap2Little King Story [Wii] I_voting_barLittle King Story [Wii] Vote_rcap2 
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Little King Story [Wii]

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit
Lier X Agerate

Number of posts : 129
Location : Zombies and ghosts are on the loose here. Welcome to Threed.
Coins : 194

PostSubject: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 am

Recently, I have picked up a charming little title which has pretty much kept me enthralled from start to finish. This endearing project is none other than Xseed’s own Little King Story. A game that has far more depth than any one person would probably ever guess from just looking at its box cover, as I could easily see people overlooking it as another "kiddie" game made for a quick buck. Well I’m here to break it down for you and tell you the good and the bad so here goes:

Gameplay:

One of the first things you’ll notice playing this game is the absence of pointer controls, which seems like a no brainer after the Wii-make of games like Pikmin, which this title was heavily inspired by. While, I think it is a little disappointing that they failed to include this, I must wonder if there was a reason for its absence. Although, I’m sure the pointer controls would work wonderfully throughout most of the game, there are times where they might have been a little disruptive to the gameplay.

The control scheme that is included works well enough, and will be like second nature with a little practice. It’s easy enough to pick the units you need and the button layout is rather simple with the “A” button used for sending troops to perform a task and the “B” button used for calling them back.
Minor nuisances like followers falling off cliffs and targeting the wrong object do present itself from time to time, but as you unlock formations most of these problems can be easily solved. Occasionally when two objects are very close, the auto target will adopt this annoying habit where it will only let you hone in on one of them. Also, during some of the more chaotic fights, manipulation of all your troops and multitasking can be somewhat cumbersome, especially since when you press the “B” button to call your units back, you call all your units back. While disruptive, these minor gripes do not really hinder the game play, especially once you get a hang of how to manipulate your troops in the most efficient manner.

The main objectives in the game revolve around collecting treasure to gain money which is used to further expand your kingdom, defeating UMA (the monsters of this world) in order to accomplish a variety of tasks, and conquering the seven surrounding kingdoms to unify the world. Fortunately, you have your followers to assign particular job roles to so they can help you accomplish these objectives. The wide variety of locals you are able to explore and creative assortment of enemies to defeat make these tasks never feel tiresome. The game’s crazy sense of humor also makes you want to see more and the title has that addictive quality where you just can’t seem to put it down.

I give game play an 8 (out of 10)

Graphics:

The style of Little King’s Story is colorful and whimsical as if it was ripped right out of the imagination of a child. As you wonder your ever expanding kingdom you’ll be constantly assaulted with a plethora of vibrant colors which come beautifully together to create a work of art which is this game’s landscape. Seeing your town fully realized and so full of life is truly something to behold. Some people have complained that the filter they use which softens everything giving it a sort of blurry quality is a bit much and resembles if someone put Vaseline over the lens. While, its graphics are blurred a little, I never found this to be distracting nor a problem in being able to tell what’s going on. The game might not be pushing the most polygons or be actually that impressive technologically, but it pulls off the style it was going for so well, including in the wonderfully delightful cut scenes strewn throughout the game. These short pastel like movies will make you laugh with their pure absurdity.

I give graphics a 9 (out of 10)

Sound:

The music in the game is pretty much just remixes of classical songs, not that this is a bad thing. In fact, the music fits the game like a glove and I don’t think originally produced music could have done any better in improving the experience. Each song was carefully selected to give off the atmosphere desired for each of the crazy locals and each one does wonderfully. I think the best example of how well the music was chosen for each area is during the New Island boss fight. (Epic is the only word I can think to describe it.) The people all speak gibberish except for a few words thrown in here and there, similar to Animal Crossings. Overall, the game is very pleasing on the ears except for one irk, and a minor one at that. When you are rotating your troops, they usually say, “Yes sir!” which one would think would be a good thing. Well it’s not bad until you’re cycling through seven different types of troops continually just to get back to your soldiers. This causes you to be constantly arranged with a slightly overwhelming number of, “Yes sir!” chants. It’s not too disruptive as I sort of ignore it now, but it is still a minor irk nonetheless.

I give sound an 8 (out of 10)

Lasting Appeal:

This game is quite a long game, especially given the shorter nature of many Wii titles. I played for 35+ hours before I was able to reach the end on the normal difficulty. The game is truly addictive and hours will fly by without you even noticing. For those looking for a challenge, this game has it. Even in the normal difficulty, minor enemies were able to wipe out my entire squad of soldiers in no time. Of course, those minor enemies don’t even compare to the bosses, each of which are unique. I think I can safely say that no two boss fights will feel at all the same. Besides the first kingdom’s boss who is kind of a pushover, the others show no mercy. You will be replaying these bosses possibly many times before you ever see their fall. If that wasn’t enough, there are harder difficulties available afterward to give you an even greater challenge. For a title like this I could see myself replaying not even for the extra challenge, but just to experience it for another time, but the extra challenge doesn’t hurt at all. (You all know I’m a gaming masochist. Twisted Evil )

I give lasting appeal a 9 (out of 10)

Little King Story is easily one of the best titles currently in the Wii line-up and one experience which no one should miss. The colorful and innocent appearance hides a truly deep experience that will punish you with no remorse for making mistakes. Surprisingly, the game even touches on possibly taboo subjects such as polygamy and religion. It does so with wonderfully written and delivered humor and often in the subtlest of ways. These touches make this game actually more suited to adults than to kids, so no gamer should pass this game up just because they think it’s “kiddie.” A title like this only comes around once in a while and it has become one of my favorite Wii games, if not possibly one of my favorite all time games in general, so do not pass this gem up.

I give this game overall a 9 (out of 10)

As a side note, I would like to add that this was published by Xseed games, the same people who released both Retro Game Challenge and are publishing Muramasa: The Demon Blade so let’s give them as much support as possible for releasing such wonderful games.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:17 am

This is an excellent review! I wanted to ask you Lier X Agerate, would it be possible to post this on the website? I'd put your name at the top so everyone knows you wrote it. If not, that's ok. I just wanted to ask. If I have your blessing, what would you rate it on our 5 star decimal system?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit
Lier X Agerate

Number of posts : 129
Location : Zombies and ghosts are on the loose here. Welcome to Threed.
Coins : 194

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:15 pm

Feel free to use any of my reviews Streex. On the five star decimal system I would have to rate Little King Story a 4.4.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Thanks a bunch. I'll get it up within the next couple of days.
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:30 pm

My wife is playing this, on my recommendation that since she is withdrawing from Pikmin this would cure the itch. She has nothing but good things to say.

One thing that bothers me from watching is the idiocy of your followers, sometimes getting separated. She says she has learned to deal, and its not really a problem. Got it for $25, which I consider a steal. 4/5
Back to top Go down
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

Number of posts : 1555
Coins : 3202

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:59 pm

I still want this game. Too many games I want. Too many games to play.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:10 am

I still have to try this game also. They once had it as a club.nintendo award in Europe I think. If they did something like that in America I'd pick that up in a flash.
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:38 am

Have it. Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 am

Streex wrote:
I still have to try this game also. They once had it as a club.nintendo award in Europe I think. If they did something like that in America I'd pick that up in a flash.

Why does Europe get stuff like that? Smelly, stinky Europe! I want LITTLE KING!!!

(You already had Little Emperor.)
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:06 pm

It puzzles me, too. But when you look at what Japan gets, getting a retail game for club points seems silly.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:42 pm

I actually think more retail games should get the club.nintendo treatment. At least the great ones that don't get the recognition or sales they deserve. It would get those titles in more homes to spark more interest and possibly help sales of a sequel.
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:26 am

I dunno, the people who are members of club nintendo are usually core fans, and would know about such titles already. Of course, thats not every scenario, and I guess the option is better than no option.

Waste of points for guys like us, though. :\
Back to top Go down
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:22 am

Speak for yourself! Gimme!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little King Story [Wii]   Little King Story [Wii] Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Little King Story [Wii]
Page 1 of 1