Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_lcap2100%Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_lcap20%Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_lcap2Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] I_voting_barRed Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_lcap2Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] I_voting_barRed Alarm [Virtual Boy] Vote_rcap2 
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Red Alarm [Virtual Boy]

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Red Alarm [Virtual Boy]   Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:16 am

Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Canvas
Certain games just seem like a perfect match for a system, as if the system was made just for it. A primary example would be Mario 64, shining out as the jewel of the N64's launch, with a controller and system which worked perfectly with the various aspects of the game. Another great match was Tetris with GameBoy, a game which was impossible to put down along with a system that you never had to leave behind. With the Virtual Boy, even if not necessarily the best game on the system, when you look at the Virtual Boy, with its style and capabilities, and then took a look at Red Alarm, they just seem like a natural match.

Red Alarm is a flying game that seems very familiar in style to a game like Star Fox. You are controlling a ship, flying ahead as enemies and whatnot fly from in front of you. It's not a strictly straightforward progress, you have the option to stop and turn around. Still, it's not really the main focus of how the game progresses, and, really, if you stop or get stuck somewhere and need to back away or something, it gets much more confusing. So, the best way to go about playing is just to fly on ahead, without really worrying too much about it.

The main thing that really stands out about Red Alarm, and why it seems such a natural fit for the Virtual Boy, is the way the scenery is displayed. Everything is done in a 3D-like arrangement of lines making up the surroundings. If you were to do a demo with that sort of display which was possible on Virtual Boy which really made it different from other things out there, it's the sort of look you would likely choose to highlight it. With your face up against the system, seeing nothing but that red and black display, it really draws you in, and has a very nice feel to it.

Of course, Red Alarm is much more than a Virtual Boy tech demo, and while its style really serves as a display of the system, the important thing is that it's also a very fun game to play. The heart of the game, that of a flying shooter, is there and as solid as one might hope. While, as noted above, the fact that it doesn't force you to go forward all the time and that you do have the option of stopping or going back can make things a bit awkward, it's easy enough to avoid that and just fly along on your path. There are some areas (in particular fights against more major enemies) where you have to circle around on them and make use of that, but, in those areas it does fit the feeling of play well enough. In addition to the normal flying control setup, the right D-pad also serves as a quick boost in any of those directions. So, if you need to quickly go up or dodge to the side, you can make use of this pad for that. While this sounds simple enough, it does actually work really well with the game, giving things a bit more involvement than just steering around normally.

Along with the particular display of the game, and the unique appearance, Red Alarm does also have some nice looking designs to the areas. Of course, with everything just all being lines there's only so much detail things can get, but again, it just really seems to fit the feel of the game. To go along with that, the music of the game is very nice, and along with everything else serves to further pull you into the atmosphere. Within a matter of minutes, with the focus just being so directly on the game, you can easily forget that you are in fact sitting there staring into the system and just become immersed in everything that's going on in there.

When firing, shots will automatically lock on to near-by enemies. This is convenient, but does also serve to make things much easier, since it makes it simple enough to just keep hitting that fire button as you are flying, and the aiming will take care of itself. Not that there's anything wrong with that, as trying to position your shot exactly on an enemy could be a pain if it made you. Still, it's not particularly difficult to go flying through most of the enemies. The game features three difficulty levels, depending on the amount of challenge you are hoping to find. Even on the hardest setting it's not the most difficult game in the world, but it does put up a pretty nice challenge. Unfortunately the game isn't quite as long as you might hope, and especially once you get good at the game it's not going to take you long to go through it. Still, even so, it's a very enjoyable game through all the levels it has.

While it's not necessarily a game which would be reason enough to go out and buy a Virtual Boy, if you already have the system, the game is fairly inexpensive and definitely worth checking out if only to expand your library for the system a bit. It does have some competition in the shoot em up genre on the system with Vertical Force, but while that game is fun as well, it doesn't make use of the Virtual Boy nearly as much, and while it's worth checking out as well, Red Alarm definitely does a good deal to set itself apart from that game. So if you already have the system and are into this sort of game, it's definitely worth checking out. Not just because of getting another Virtual Boy game, but simply because it's fun, regardless of what system it's on. If you don't have a Virtual Boy, again it's not necessarily worth running out and buying the system just for this game, but if you ever decide to check the system out, it's definitely a game to keep in mind.

5 out of 5
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: Re: Red Alarm [Virtual Boy]   Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:33 pm

5/5??? You are smoking crack dude. LOL
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: Red Alarm [Virtual Boy]   Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:28 am

I'm sorry but I just loves me sum Red Alarm. I watched Angry Video Game Nerd's rant on it and he complained about running into walls because you couldn't see them, just a bunch of wire framing. I honestly never had that problem. I could always tell where there was a wall. The difficulty was high and the boss battles were epic (I know that sounds funny for a VB game). I'm probably in the minority pool on this one, but I thought it was awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Alarm [Virtual Boy]   Red Alarm [Virtual Boy] Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Red Alarm [Virtual Boy]
Page 1 of 1