Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
DSi Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
DSi Vote_lcap2100%DSi Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
DSi Vote_lcap20%DSi Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
DSi Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
DSi Vote_lcap2DSi I_voting_barDSi Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

DSi

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

DSi Empty
PostSubject: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:20 pm

DSi Dsi
The onset of portable gaming heralded a revolution in gaming, and started the portable gaming evolution that continues to this day. Although handheld games were available from 1977, with Mattel’s Auto Race, the first true handheld console would have to be the Microvision, which followed in 1979. They really took off in the 1980s though, with the iconic release of the Game Boy, which to this day is almost synonymous with the whole concept of handheld gaming. The Game Boy was phenomenally popular, and in 2005 Nintendo claimed they had sold nearly 120 million handsets worldwide - an unbelievable figure.

Competitors and challengers came to the forefront in the early 1990s. First came the Atari Lynx, the first color handheld ever produced. This was swiftly followed by Sega’s first foray into the market, with the Game Gear. This utilized the operating system of the Sega Master System, giving it a huge range of games. Following on came the color iteration of the Game Boy, but the popularity of handhelds really surged into the new millennium, and the choice seemingly rests between two systems. One of those is the Playstation Portable, a typically well designed, stylish and multi-functional piece of hardware which handles gaming, music, films and the internet. However, this was seen to be mainly aimed at an older market, with the vast majority of the younger demographic left to one side.

Into this vacuum came the Nintendo DS, which was released in November 2004. The DS comprises a clamshell design, with two LCD screens, a major selling point being that the lowermost one is a touch-screen. Using a stylus on this screen as well as the normal buttons gave a different gaming experience to other consoles, and combining Nintendo’s reputation for classic, brilliant gameplay with this attractive package has led to sales of nearly 100 million to date. Updates came, including the Nintendo DS Lite, but with this new iteration, the Nintendo DSi, the bar has been well and truly raised.

Taking all that was good about the original models, Nintendo listened to what the consumers wanted and attempted to change only what they felt could be improved. Early designs were mooted which had two game slots, but this was eradicated when it became clear the console would be too thick. Instead we have a new sleeker build, which is 12% thinner than the DS Lite, although it is a touch longer. Nintendo have also added two 0.3 megapixel VGA cameras; there is one on the inner hinge that is pointed at the user and one on the outer shell.

The most pronounced difference is probably the new screens, which have been enlarged by a quarter of an inch to 3.25 inches. Improved speakers have also been added, and an SD (Secure Digital) card slot has been added, for the storage of photos, downloaded software and music. It should be noted that the built-in music program, which also serves as a voice recorder, can only play AAC audio, meaning the DSi can not play MP3s, which could be a small drawback for some people. Wireless internet connectivity is still there and for those of you who like it technical, the nuts and bolts have been updated too, with 16MB of RAM now inside, four times more than the other models had. Finally, as an aesthetic touch, the console is given a matte finish to stop smudged fingerprints from marking the body.

So, in short, it may seem that, apart from a few tweaks, the DSi is much the same as the DS Lite that came before it. However, this is less of a dig than it might at first seem, especially when you consider how good the DS Lite was and is. There is still the internet access, still the huge range of games, still the same easy pick up and play fun to be had, and the addition of the cameras only adds to the functionality.

It is not all blue skies however. The lack of MP3 playability might be a drawback to some, as will be the removal of the front slot that catered for Game Boy Advance Game Paks. The latter is more an issue when you consider that, without the slot, other accessories too can not be used, including the DS Rumble Pak and the special accessory for playing the Guitar Hero games.

In all, the Nintendo DSi is a sleeker, more refined and updated version of an already successful and very good console, and in this way we can presume that it too will be a top seller. If you are looking for easy and fun portable gaming, you could not go wrong by choosing a Nintendo DSi.

4.6 out of 5
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Triz
Moogle
Moogle
Triz

Number of posts : 1086
Coins : 3650

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Quote :
It is not all blue skies however. The lack of MP3 playability might be a drawback to some, as will be the removal of the front slot that catered for Game Boy Advance Game Paks. The latter is more an issue when you consider that, without the slot, other accessories too can not be used, including the DS Rumble Pak and the special accessory for playing the Guitar Hero games.

Most programs that run MP3's can convert to AAC format. I know Itunes does it.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:03 am

Yes. This only makes it a little cumbersome. I know it was a hassle for me when they switched from mp3 to AAC on the Wii. I had to load more songs on my SD Card that were AAC format. The funny thing is though Excite Truck still plays and only plays mp3 tracks on your SD Card alien , so I left my mp3 songs on there to listen to while racing. The new AAC songs play during a slide show in the Photo Channel.
Back to top Go down
Triz
Moogle
Moogle
Triz

Number of posts : 1086
Coins : 3650

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:18 am

you seriously need to reevaluate the reason for switching music formats to play in your systems. My files will stay MP3 because the MP3 player i have is superior to the DSi.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Sun May 10, 2009 12:46 am

Superior in what ways? I was enjoying music on my DSi the other day and thought it sounded just as good as on any other mp3 player. True, you can't turn it up as loud as others, but it gets up to a comfortable level without blowing your eardrums. Plus with all the different ways you can play around with the song that can't be found on other mp3 players it has it's own superior qualities. I found playing the mario coin collecting mini game a good way to burn 5 minutes while enjoying listening to a song.
Back to top Go down
Nintendo Furniture
Moogle
Moogle
Nintendo Furniture

Number of posts : 1087
Coins : 270

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Wed May 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Would I ask. Would it be better with the original ds for your game boy advance game in there, or would you rather have the DSi for the DSiWare and cool looking pictures of yourself sometimes?
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 27, 2010 3:04 am

Hard question. Which is why I'm glad I have both. I guess if you have GBA games with no way to play them and had to choose I would go with the DS Phat or DS Lite over a DSi. The GBA library is much better than the DSiWare library. Ability to take photos isn't a big factor here. Plus it would be much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Matthew999
Yoshi
Yoshi
Matthew999

Number of posts : 341
Coins : 709

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Thu May 27, 2010 3:52 am

As the DSi is my first DS console my opinion is a bit biased but as I don't have any GBA games the DSi is the obvious option for me. I quite enjoy the 2 camera's and the sound editing tool and DSiWare and all the little improvements the DSi has. I would give it 4.8 out of 5.
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:50 am

Liked the review, but you never mentioned DSiWare in it!!!???

Personally, most people who have gba games had/have a GBA. Most people who buy DS's that are new to the system will more likely than not not have GBA games, or the intent to buy them. So the lack of GBA support is really, in my opinion, a minimal drawback because, as Ninty themselves have said, the DS is its own line, it does not need to rely on the Gameboy name.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Well said guys. Thankfully when the 3DS comes out, it will always be backward compatible since the cards are practically the same as the DS cards. No tough choices ahead.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

DSi Empty
PostSubject: Re: DSi   DSi Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

DSi
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Ninfest Nation :: Ninfest Nation Media :: Reviews-
Jump to: