Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_lcap2100%Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_lcap20%Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_lcap20%Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_lcap2Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime I_voting_barDragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_lcap2Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime I_voting_barDragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Vote_rcap2 
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

Number of posts : 1555
Coins : 3202

PostSubject: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Sun May 29, 2011 9:39 pm

This game is long overdue for a review in here, and I mean to rectify that now! This is one of the most criminally underrated games for the Nintendo DS.

Rocket Slime is one of the most unique games on a system known for unique games. Part overhead action-adventure game, part collecting game, part crafting game, and part strategic massive tank battle, this game does not lack for variety. The game starts out simple enough, with the titular hero setting off to rescue the 100 slimes kidnapped from his village. His rather unique method of fighting consists mostly of ramming into enemies by stretching himself like a rubber-band and then releasing. As enemies and objects go bouncing around from Rocket's hits, he can move underneath them to catch them and either toss them on the nearest train back to town, (no, there are no spirits in these tracks,) or throw them at other enemies.

Eventually, Rocket gains a flute that allows him to summon a Godzilla-sized tank he, (and later AI-controlled crew members,) actually move around inside, collecting ammo from dispensers and throwing it into either of the tanks two cannons. (One shoots straight, the other in an upward arc.) This is where the real joy of the game comes in. There's so much to do in tank battles, they could be a game in themselves. (Actually, once you've beaten the main game, it pretty much is the game- in multiplayer.) Different types of ammo have different properties such as speed, damage, and amount of opposing ammo they can come into contact with before being taken out. Which ammo to arm your tank with, as well as what to launch from which cannon, in what order, and when make up half of the strategy.

Aside from loading cannons, you can give orders to your 3 crew members, hand-picked by you from amongst townspeople you've rescued or monsters you've collected at least 40 of. (My favorite is the Goodie Bag, which is by far the most difficult to get, as they rarely appear and are hard to catch when they do appear.) You can also break into the enemy tank (there are a few ways to do this,) and start wrecking their computers so as to make things not work as well for them and/or steal ammo to take back to your tank and launch at them. Between you, your opponent, your crew members, and theirs, there's a lot of fighting going on beyond just what's being shot out of cannons. (Best way to get an annoying enemy out of your tank- toss them in your cannon and launch it back at their own tank- possibly blocking one of their own incoming shots in the process.)

You also eventually gain the ability to do alchemy, which lets you combine various items and ammo to produce more powerful ammo. This is what there is to do even after you've rescued everyone and gotten all crew members. Depending on what ammo you want, this could take a very long time. My only complaint about the game is that the story mode is far too easy. It's a ton of fun in any case, but I never felt in danger of running out of hit points, especially once I had collected a few of the games numerous extra hearts, (just like in Zelda.) There were a few tank battles that provided a good challenge, but it's much more fun to play against a human once you've gotten your tank all decked out and have more advanced ammo. (Did I mention you can also collect materials and money for tank upgrades?)

With the announcement of a new Rocket Slime for 3DS, I am obviously ecstatic! I game my old DS to my son along with my wife's (unused) copy of Rocket Slime. He has rapidly gotten to where he can play multiplayer, and with the ability to set our starting hit points, we can compete on an even level. We've been having a blast blowing each other up! I readily give this game 5 stars and a bag of chips.
Back to top Go down
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2011 6:55 am

Hm... played The Monsters DS games and was not impressed. I don't usually lke strat games but this did always intrigue me. Perhaps I'll pick up a copy, they are dirt cheap (if you find a copy).
Back to top Go down
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 pm

This one has nothing to do with those. In fact, I think it's the second game in a series, but only the first released in the US. Buy two copies and get one for your brother, because once you've beaten the game and all the extra stuff, the only motivation to continue is multiplayer.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:09 am

I'm interested in this. It really did get swept under the rug. I don't think Nintendo Power even gave it enough coverage. I'm gonna have to post this delicious review on ninfest.com soon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:43 pm

I would say that ensuring there is online multiplayer in the 3DS Rocket Slime would guarantee that I'll buy it, but I'm already going to buy it. I have no idea what will be in the game, other than it will be ships instead of tanks, and I'm already sold.

The DS one is local multiplayer only- and multi-card at that- so I've never gotten to try 3 or 4-player. If I did, I think my head would explode with joy.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Oops! I forgot to post this excellent review on ninfest.com. It is there now! Thanks Antilles!

DRAGON QUEST HEROES: ROCKET SLIME REVIEW :: CLICK HERE
Back to top Go down
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Woo-hooo! I'm famous! Maybe I'll review Actraiser next!
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Tue May 08, 2012 11:56 am

...still waiting for that actraiser review....
Back to top Go down
Antilles
TJ Combo
TJ Combo
Antilles

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Wed May 09, 2012 10:58 am

Oops! Darn my A.D.D...
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1Wed May 09, 2012 12:31 pm

Actually...if you do it...right now I'm probably not going to post it on ninfest.com. I've cut down on what I update on the site, and game reviews are one of them. I'm going to rebuild the site this summer and have it ready for launch close to the Wii U launch. It will be much more stripped down to the important stuff. Too much fluff that no one goes to right now. I'll let you guys know how game reviews will be implemented on the new site when I get to it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime   Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Page 1 of 1