Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_lcap2100%The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_lcap20%The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_lcap20%The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_lcap2The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool I_voting_barThe Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_lcap2The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool I_voting_barThe Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Vote_rcap2 
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool   The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:10 am

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool DSCI0052
(*not pictured: Tales of Phantasia. Why? Laziness...)

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool DSCI0053
The Tales of... Series is a truly underrated franchise. The first of the series, Tales of Phantasia, was developed/released in 1995 on the Super Famicom in the land of the rising sun. It was a 2-d side-scrolling rpg hybrid, with the depth and brevity to uphold the lordly caliber of such game styles.

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Gfs_3679_2_16

You were Cress, a young man hell-bent on revenge after a strange attack leaves him family-less. You travel through many places in a quest for honor, revenge, and understanding. It has the basic elements of most any rpg; cooking, leveling up, collecting coins. Upgrading your weapons, armor, you rpg fans know what I'm talking about, it's that grind shit we all love so so much. So what sets this game (and its' series) apart? The battle system!!!

In these first 3 games I am reviewing (and the Fandom vol.), the battle system is a 2-d plain with an assorted amount of enemies to battle. They call this a linear battle system. They are random battles, which is not always the case for the series as a whole. You can mash buttons, to be sure, and most times you will be fine. But with the 2 dimensional battle field, sometimes a wiry enemy can trap you in a corner and obliterate you. Makes for some interesting strategy. Did I mention these battles are in REAL TIME!??! This also makes a huge difference in gameplay and opens up for deeper battle strategy.

The sprites in Tales of Phantasia look fantastic. It was the first Super Famicom game to use 48mb of space, a technical achievement for the day. It also features a first in streamed audio voice, with the work done by mastermind sound programmer Hiroya Hatsushiba. You can tell Namco (the publisher of the series) really wanted this game to gain a following. It just breathes creativity and charm.

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Taleofde_screen008

Tales of Destiny sees a departure from Nintendo consoles until 2003! A 1 disc wonder on the PS1, ToD shared in its predessor's linear battle system, with a few added tweaks. They call this the Enhanced Linear Battle System, which is quite silly because it is mostly a graphical update. In any case, the story revolves around Stahn, a stow-away on a dragonship who meets a mystical talking sword! They explore vast areas to save the world from destruction (crazy, right?). Not much aside from story is different for this game, but I want to stress that that is precisely why people become fans of the series. The story and characters are endearing, and the protagonist has a very personable attitude toward his experiences.

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Talesofdestiny_screen021

The last of the oldschool console contenders, Tales of Destiny II/Eternia again arrives via PS1. A bit of a backstep in the imagery department, the characters began to be a little more teenage in appearance, and more emphasis instead is put to the backgrounds and npc's. Not too bad, really, but an odd choice to say the least. This also marks the decision by Namco to follow in Square's footsteps and begin mis-naming the American version of the games. In the US, this game is Tales of Destiny II. HOWEVER in Japan an actual sequel to Tales of Destiny, entitled Tales of Destiny 2, came out some years later. We in the States and Euro, of course, are left out of the loop. The story is a little shaky this time around imo, none of the characters are as likable as in previous installments.

After each "generation," so to speak, Namco releases a Fandom of the Tales Series. They are just fun mini-games featuring the main characters of each respective title. It provides a little more insight on the characters in general, as I said this is a staple of the series. It really is fun to meet them outside of battle! Of course, they are Japan-only releases, so unless your PS1 is modded or from Japan, you can forgo these little nuggets.

This is an excellent series, and it deserves the dedicated (albeit a bit obsessive) fanbase it has attained. I will continue on with Vol. 2 sometime in the future...

Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool   The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Icon_minitime1Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:22 am

How many different sets of characters span this series? I've only played Symphonia so I only know those characters. Do they have a new cast for each Tales game?

Sweet collection up there. Now all you need is Tales of Bearsworth Manor to complete the collection. The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com

The Tales of... Series Volume 1 - Oldschool Cool
Page 1 of 1