Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
Retro Game Challenge Vote_lcap2100%Retro Game Challenge Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
Retro Game Challenge Vote_lcap20%Retro Game Challenge Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
Retro Game Challenge Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
Retro Game Challenge Vote_lcap2Retro Game Challenge I_voting_barRetro Game Challenge Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
Retro Game Challenge Vote_lcap2Retro Game Challenge I_voting_barRetro Game Challenge Vote_rcap2 
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
May 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Retro Game Challenge

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit
Lier X Agerate

Number of posts : 129
Location : Zombies and ghosts are on the loose here. Welcome to Threed.
Coins : 194

PostSubject: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:31 pm

I just recently bought this game upon hearing praise from multiple gaming sites and I must say it does not disappoint. For those of you unfamiliar with this title it was released only a little over a month ago (February 9) and tries to recapture that familiar 80's gaming era.

Retro Game Challenge at heart is a compilation of what appears to beloved classics from years past (think early NES/famicon), yet that is the catch of this wonderful little title. The respective games were actually made from scratch although they often borrow heavily from certain other titles. Every title maintains a very retro feel and I say that in the most endearing way. It's as if Xseed went back and time and actually stole some 80's game designers game program and brought it back to our time.

I thoroughly enjoyed romping through each title, but that's not to say all of the games are created equal. Some games will take you longer than others and a few actually get "sequels" throughout the game. This was fine by me in most instances as the "sequel" was often a richer experience but there is one particular game I think I could have done without, it just was not necessary. (To not spoil what titles you unlock throughout the game I'll just say it has a lot of cup ramen ads) Oh, I guess I forgot to mention that you have to unlock the games as you progress through the story, but don't worry, this does not subtract from the experience. It is actually quite the opposite, it strengthens it.

I'm not going to go too deep into the story because honestly it doesn't really matter, you're back in the eighties and you have to beat the challenges given to you by the digital talking head. There's four challenges for each "cartridge" and as you progress, your buddy who observes your awesome skills goes and buys new game magazines and other games as you finish the previous ones. The game magazines are cleverly designed to be a homage of gaming magazines in the 80's. (Think an issue of Nintendo Power but much smaller.) They also serve a major function by announcing upcoming games, reviewing current ones, answering questions, giving hints, and even revealing cheat codes. That's right, cheat codes have been programmed into each of the classic games much like the infamous Contra 30 lives code.

Overall, each game has controlled very well and is great in its design. Honestly, I have yet to finish the game, although, I am getting close (Blame this on the 10 hour + RPG they included into the game.) Honestly, the only things I have to complain about this game is that overall it's like Warioware where (besides the RPG) you will probably be able to beat it in a day, but then again that's how games were back then. Also, while your friend adds in some great humor through 80's gaming references, he can get a little bit annoying as he comments and you'll be hearing them repeated quite frequently. (Thank goodness he's not there in Freeplay mode) Lastly, it leaves me craving more. It would have been awesome if they could have made a Double Dragon inspired game and incorporated it into it (Or maybe Tecmo Bowl, about the only sport game I like Razz ) but that is just being nitpicky as they have left me wanting more. To those of you who aren't into retro games and demand a game that pushes the system to its technical limit, well this game isn't for you but I would definitely recommend this to any older gamer who, like myself, grew up with games during this era and loved every minute of it. Truly this is an amazing tribute to those times. (And times when game magazines actually told you things you did not already know, the internet kind of ruined that huh?)
Back to top Go down
Triz
Moogle
Moogle
Triz

Number of posts : 1086
Coins : 3650

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm

Thanks for the review Lier. Ive been interested in the game and like you have seen alot of praise from other message boards. I have a too many games I have to beat around the house before I make another purchase but will check this out once I get a chance.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:41 pm

I agree with Triz, awesome review. I haven't heard too much about this game but after reading Lier X Agerates review I looked down and found a puddle of drool. Why haven't I picked this game up yet? How did I completely miss it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Triz
Moogle
Moogle
Triz

Number of posts : 1086
Coins : 3650

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Still havent bought this, but I intend to. I need to support the developer so they bring over the sequel.
Back to top Go down
Lier X Agerate
Pit
Pit
Lier X Agerate

Number of posts : 129
Location : Zombies and ghosts are on the loose here. Welcome to Threed.
Coins : 194

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:50 pm

Yeah, some games in homage of classic SNES titles would really make a great sequel. I would definitely pick that up if it came out. After all, the SNES is my all time favorite console and it had so many unforgettable games come out for it.
Back to top Go down
Nintendo Furniture
Moogle
Moogle
Nintendo Furniture

Number of posts : 1087
Coins : 270

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:37 pm

What the heck is a Retro Game Challenge? Retro Game Challenge Confused
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:16 pm

That's the name of the game. Retro Game Challenge Icon_rr
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Retro Game Challenge   Retro Game Challenge Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

Retro Game Challenge
Page 1 of 1