Ninfest Nation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Now entering the forums of Ninfest.com

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Similar topics
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Memory Card
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 2:01 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Nintendo Furniture Nintendo Network ID
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 30, 2013
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:57 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 30, 2013
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:56 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 27
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 30, 2013 1:54 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» PSN "Updates"
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Wed May 29, 2013 1:02 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Wii U Shop May 23, 2013
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» This week on Eshop May 23, 2013
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:03 pm by Nintendo Furniture

» Special release from the Eshop 26
The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu May 23, 2013 12:00 pm by Nintendo Furniture

Twitter
Poll
Will mobile phone gaming kill off systems like the 3DS?
I doubt it, there will always be dedicated portables.
The Bit Trip Series Vote_lcap2100%The Bit Trip Series Vote_rcap2
 100% [ 5 ]
Yes, the 3DS will be the last portable system from Nintendo.
The Bit Trip Series Vote_lcap20%The Bit Trip Series Vote_rcap2
 0% [ 0 ]
Never, mobile gaming is just a fad and will die off soon.
 0% [ 0 ]
Probably, unless Nintendo drops their prices.
 0% [ 0 ]
Maybe, iPhone and Android gaming could be the future.
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5
Facebook
Ninfest on Facebook
Gallery
The Bit Trip Series Empty
Top posters
Streex (4373)
The Bit Trip Series Vote_lcap2The Bit Trip Series I_voting_barThe Bit Trip Series Vote_rcap2 
ZeldAnTales (2909)
The Bit Trip Series Vote_lcap2The Bit Trip Series I_voting_barThe Bit Trip Series Vote_rcap2 
Antilles (1555)
Nintendo Furniture (1087)
Triz (1086)
Matthew999 (341)
Lier X Agerate (129)
WildCard (115)
ShagTheTruth (114)
Incognito (71)
April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

The Bit Trip Series

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: The Bit Trip Series   The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:35 am

WiiWare started out as what many gamers thought would be an onslaught of shovelware at reduced prices to cash in on the Wii craze. While this is mostly true, there have been a few standouts.

Gaijen games, via Aksys publishing, has made an excellent franchise in the Bit. Trip series. While predominantly a rhythm game, each iteration offers a non-traditional approach to a certain genre.

BIT. TRIP BEAT

The Bit Trip Series Screen-btb-03

The first of the series was/is Bit. Trip Beat. This game is the only in the
series thus far to utilize any sort of motion control via the wiimote, and they did it well. You hold the wiimote sideways, and tilt it up or down to move the paddle in the same direction. Very pong-like in gameplay, though this incorporates more of a rhythm-based mechanic as well as chain combo possibilities and upgraded-as-you-play-well sound and graphics.

The art (this part of the series review can be assumed to apply to all titles in the series) is, 8-bit, as the name implies. Very bright, colorful, and rapid. The quickness can be a good thing and a bad thing, sometimes I cannot tell whether it was a piece I was supposed to hit or a piece of the background. Minimal complaint.

There are only 3 levels, but the game makes up for that by making each of them very long. Unfortunately, this worked against them. The visuals,
while appealing, are a tad straining on the eye and 15-minute levels are
a bit much (if you make it that long, there is a life bar). Speaking of the life bar, the worse you do, the less appealing the graphics become, and the sound disappears entirely to leave you with a black and white
soundless screen. Nice touch.

For a first game in a series, this one starts strong. 4/5 stars

Bit. Trip Core

The Bit Trip Series Screen-btc-04

If Beat was a pong-type game, this one could be considered a variation of a shmup (shoot 'em up, if that's your fancy). You control a reticule that can be aimed up, down, left, and right. Depending on where the bits are coming, you wait until they pass a crosshair and "shoot" them (with the 2 button) to the beat. This iteration features the combo string and expanded graphical/musical ideas as the previous game.

This game suffers a bit from tough controls. Your timing, with the d-pad and the 2 button, has got to be dead on balls accurate. If they are not synced well you will miss, regardless of its presence in your crosshair. Again the tradition of 3 levels, but of this one it's enough. Clever designs
to be sure, but a few lulls in the second level made me wonder if I had
regressed to the first again somehow.

A tough learning curve from level 1 to 2 really makes the game a grind. Don't even get me started on level 3. I give it 2.5/5 stars. Only if you really love the series will you want this title.

Bit. Trip Void

The Bit Trip Series Screen-btv-02

For this game, Gaijin really got creative. Consider this their take on a
party game, and a unique one at that! Up to 4 players can play at once,
cooperatively (or not >Very Happy), to obtain all the black bits (and growing into a larger void in the process) whilst avoiding the white like the plague (as they deplete both your score and your size!). Unlike the last 2 games, this one uses the nunchuk, with the analog stick moving your black-dot-thing in 8 directions, and the A button on the wiimote pressed to de-void your dot when it has amassed too big from ingesting the black particles.

While the concept is fun, and playing with others is niche, it gets boring.
Why? It's so stinking easy. And long. At least in this one they put
checkpoints in. They must have gotten complaints about Core's toughness, and really watered this one down. Still fun, and the music is fantastic if not a bit sleep-inducing. I give it 3.5/5 stars!

Bit. Trip Runner

The Bit Trip Series Screen-btr-02

The latest installment of the series, this is Gaijin's spin on a
platformer. An oldschool NES platformer. What does that mean? It means this game gets tough. REAL tough. You control Commander Video (the series star, 'natch) as he runs on rails towards his goal. You can jump, kick, and slide your way through obstacles of crazy layout. The latter levels are truly fun designs.

The learning curve is great. My complaint? They took away the damn checkpoints. This is what gives it that NES feel, one flaw is a brutal deportation to the beginning of the level. While I appreciate the nod, I'd rather have the checkpoint. I suppose that would ruin a combo streak, but if you start from the beginning again so does that! Can't win 'em all.

Complaints aside, this is probably my personal favorite. Wink The game gets a solid 4.5/5 stars!!!
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: The Bit Trip Series   The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 am

Glad to hear you're liking Bit Trip Runner more. It sounds very challenging and that's how I like my games, as long as the challenge doesn't come from the controls being wacked.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
ZeldAnTales
Tom Nook
Tom Nook
ZeldAnTales

Number of posts : 2909
Coins : 396

PostSubject: Re: The Bit Trip Series   The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:06 am

No, the controls are tight. SOMETIMES the button presses seem a bit off from the beat, but its easy to compensate.
Back to top Go down
Streex
Admin
Streex

Number of posts : 4373
Coins : 3690

PostSubject: Re: The Bit Trip Series   The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:53 pm

Runner does look the best of all of them. I think I'll give that one a shot before the others.

Here are your reviews!

Bit.Trip Beat
Bit.Trip Core
Bit.Trip Void
Bit.Trip Runner
Back to top Go down
http://www.ninfest.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bit Trip Series   The Bit Trip Series Icon_minitime1

Back to top Go down

The Bit Trip Series